11-10-16 Math Quarter 2- Using Reading to Analyze Mathematics Project
An Ocean Mystery in the Trillions
Click the link below to read the article
Create a glossary or a handbook of the key terms highlighted in the article.
Write a summary of the article. It must be typed and double spaced. Include an introduction, the main ideas, supporting evidence, and a conclusion. (Where is the Math?)
Answer the following questions:
1. What percentage of the biosphere is on land?
2. How big is a typical bristlemouth?
3. Describe the life cycle of a protandrous animal.
4. How have scientists learned about bristlemouth fish?
5. How difficult is it to find a bristlemouth fish in the ocean?
6. How do the glowing bioluminescent dots on a bristlemouth’s abdomen help it to survive?
7. What is the ratio of chickens to humans on the planet? Show all of your calculations.
8. For every chicken on the planet, how many bristlemouths are there? Show all of your calculations.
9. The Pacific Ocean has an area of 165.25 million square kilometers. Estimate the number of bristlemouths in the Pacific Ocean. Show all of your calculations and explain your answer using complete sentences.