Science Explorations Week May 30, 2017
5-31-17 6th Grade Room 118 and 123 / MS-ESS3-3.Apply scientific principles to design a method for monitoring and minimizing a human impact on the environment.
Title: YTV- Types of Energy & the Law of Conservation of Energy
Directions - View the video as you take bullet ed notes on your notebook paper with the questions from class Room 118 remember to write the title. Homework - Review the link above, discuss with your family, place notes in your science notebook (SN) Room 123 and be prepared to answer questions.
“Something That the Lord Made” - The Life of Vivien Thomas
Take out your questions from Friday titled, “STLM- Science History”. You will continue to view the film as you answer the questions on the handout. Please remember that your 3 paragraph summary is due to Ms. Steider Wednesday in her class.
Homework - Engage your family in discussions about the life of Vivien Thomas from John Hopkins. You will use this information to develop your three paragraph essay that is due on Wednesday to Ms. Steider. Remember your test is Wednesday in class on the life of Vivien Thomas.
Science History – Film: Something the Lord Made – Title: STLM-Science History
Directions – View the film as you answer the questions on your own notebook paper do not write on this handout.
- Where and when does the story begin? ___________________________________________
- What animal does the doctor who hires Vivien use for his research? ____________________
- What medical condition is Dr. Blalock experimenting on? ____________________________
- What happened to Vivien’s money and what historical event is this an allusion to? ________
- Where do Dr. Blalock and Vivien move to after finding a new treatment for the condition they were experimenting on? ___________________________________________________
- What medical condition does Dr. Tausig suggest Dr. Blalock should try to cure? __________
- What medical school do Dr. Blalock and Vivien now work for? _______________________
- Why does everyone stare at Vivien as he goes through the hall? _______________________
- How long does Dr. Tausig say the Saxon baby has to live? ___________________________
- How long have Dr. Blalock and Vivien been together? ______________________________
- What does Vivien do to have money taken off of his rent? ____________________________
- What does Vivien create for the lab? _____________________________________________
- What does Mrs. Blalock do to help the war effort? __________________________________
- What does Dr. Longmeyer ask Vivien if he can do? _________________________________
- Who comes to visit Vivien? ____________________________________________________
- What is Vivien’s job classification? _____________________________________________
- What medical procedure do Dr. Blalock and Vivien come up with to fix Blue Baby Syndrome?
- What does Dr. Blalock say about Vivien’s work on the sutures? _______________________
- Who comes to talk Dr. Blalock out of surgery on the Saxon baby? _____________________
- What leads Vivien to realize why Paunches’, the dog, heart gave out? __________________
- How many doctors are willing to assist on the Saxon baby surgery? ____________________
- Who does Dr. Blalock want in the ER with him during the Saxon baby surgery? __________
- Who is left out of the pictures in Life magazine? ___________________________________
- How does Vivien respond to Dr. Blalock’s remarks at the banquet? ____________________
- What job does Vivien do when he leaves Johns Hopkins? ____________________________
Lang Arts Grade - Write a three paragraph summary detailing the life of Vivien Thomas remember to include his detailed scientific contributions. Share how his accomplishments have transformed the medical field. You will also share how this film has inspired or encouraged you to attain your goals. The essay is due on Wednesday you will turn it in to Ms. Steider.