8th - Changing State - Melting
Homework - Answer the questions for homework due 10-25-16. Be prepared to engage in the lab as you will complete and answer all questions.
8th Grade Standard- Develop a model that predicts and describes changes in particle motion, temperature, and state of a pure substance when thermal energy is added or removed.
Standard- MS PS1- Develop a model that predicts and describes changes in particle motion, temperature, and state of a pure substance when thermal energy is added or removed.
Directions- Reread the information at www.kiplingtigers.org Changing State: Melting
Answer the questions in complete sentences. Use your science vocabulary as you share your responses. Do not write the questions restate and answer.
Title- Changing State- Melting
1. How can you make ice melt faster? Give at least examples.
2. How could you set up an experiment to test your method? Remember to include your control.
3. Will placing ice in water make ice melt faster? Explain
4. What did you observe when you saw the dry ice in the cup? Why did that occur?
5. How did the motion and arrangement of the water molecules change as the ice melted?
Complete the statements:
6. The main difference between water and other substances is the arrangement between the ___________ of the solid and the _________________.