5th & 6th Grade
Social Studies- Poster
Directions- You will use the copy paper given to create your poster that explains the Constitution & The Bill of Rights. Place your text on one sheet and colored pictures or illustrations with captions on the second sheet. Follow the rubric to ensure a great grade.
- Write clear and concise sentences (Use correct grammar)
- State at least 5 of the amendments
- Explain & share your personal thoughts about the importance of the Bill of Rights
- Write the meaning of the constitution in your words
- Must have a slogan (A catch phrase) something that grabs the reader’s attention
- Share information about key men of the Constitution ex: George Washington, James Madison, & Benjamin Franklin
- Explain how “Shays Rebellion” helped change history.
- Colored pictures or illustrations
- Captions for all pictures or illustrations
- Parent’s signature
You Have Rights
By Phyllis Naegeli
After the American
Revolution, a new government was formed. The constitution created a strong government.
But, something was missing. Some states wouldn't agree to the constitution. They wanted
the people's rights added to the constitution. The men working to set up the government knew this was the proper thing to do.They agreed to add these rights. The first Congress did just that! It's a good thing there was a way to change the constitution.The freedoms and rights Congress added are listed in the Bill of Rights. These are the first ten amendments to the
constitution. The rights listed are important freedoms! And, they are yours.
Amendment 1 says you have freedom of speech, religion,
and assembly. You can also appeal to the government to
help you. It also contains freedom of the press.
Amendment 2 grants the right of the people to bear arms.
Amendment 3 says the government can't force you to
Amendment 4 protects your right to privacy.
Amendment 5 says you cannot be tried twice for the same
Amendment 6 gives you the right to a fair trial with a jury.
Amendment 7 gives you the right to ask for a jury in a
lawsuit where more than twenty dollars is involved.
Amendment 8 forbids the use of cruel or unusual
Amendment 9 protects other rights that you have. As long
as it is not against the law, it is O.K.
Amendment 10 says that states have the powers not given
to the central government as long as they don't go against
Rights are special privileges the government gives you. In
our country, you have many freedoms. You have free
speech. You are given the right to choose a religion. In
America, the press is free to tell you what is happening in
the world. The Bill of Rights lists the freedoms given to
you. These rights are very special. Many people in the
world do not have freedoms as we do. That's something to